Visit today and recieve your free copy of Dr. Troys new book!
Upper Cervical Care & Whiplash
Many people complain of a very common condition after an auto accident, Whiplash. Whiplash occurs when there is a sudden movement of the head, backward, forward, or sideways, which commonly occurs in auto accidents and more so when rear-ended. During such an injury, neck ligaments and muscles can be sprained or strained and vertebrae can be misaligned. While the term "whiplash" is most frequently used to describe auto accident injuries (in which a person is rear-ended, hit head-on, or hit from the side), whiplash can also frequently occur during ski accidents, bike accidents, falls, blows to the head, concussions, and other head/neck traumas.
Whiplash symptoms can include:
- Pain in neck, back, arms, and legs
- Disc disorders
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome / Thoracic Outlet Syndrome
- Vertigo disorders / Dizziness / Tinnitus (ear ringing)
- Headache / Migraine
- Visual disturbance
- Personality and cognitive changes (depression, attention deficit, memory loss, concentration difficulty)
- Insomnia, Sleep disorders
- Jaw and face pain (TMJ Dysfunction,Trigeminal Neuralgia)
- Torticollis / dystonia
- In certain cases, more severe neurological symptoms can manifest (sometimes occurring many years after the accident) such as tremor, multiple sclerosis, fibromyalgia, seizures, and reflex sympathetic dystrophy, to name a few.
Upper Cervical Care, Whiplash & Auto Accidents
FOLLOWING THE WHIPLASH ACCIDENT, SYMPTOMS CAN BE TRIGGERED IMMEDIATELY OR CAN TAKE MONTHS OR YEARS TO DEVELOP.
The purpose of upper cervical chiropractic care is to reverse the trauma-induced upper neck injury; thereby reducing irritation to the nerves in the brain stem and spinal cord that can trigger pain and other symptoms.
Treatment: After an accident, an upper cervical examination utilizing Radiography and Digital Infrared Imaging is necessary in each individual's case to assess whether an upper cervical injury is present and whether benefit from upper cervical care can be achieved.